What are PDO threads?
PDO threads are polydioxanone monofilament sutures, they are known in the world of beauty and aesthetics as “Japanese lifting” or “magic threads”.
Polydioxanone provides the creation of new collagen fibers, essential to maintain a young and full of life skin, therefore, they have had a pleasant reception by specialists who use them daily and patients who dare to try This innovative rejuvenation technique.
Also, for the tranquility of people who do not know the material and read it for the first time in this article, it is important to know that polydioxanone is used in various surgical procedures because it is a 100% resorbable material and does not produce a sensitivity reaction or intolerance on the skin.
The frequency of application of treatment in professional aesthetic centers has increased significantly because it is a minimally invasive facial and body lifting technique, much less risky and avoiding the complications of a surgical lift.
It is highly used to create a lifting, filling and firmness effect on the skin that helps improve the appearance of the skin, also helps improve self-esteem and provides greater comfort in people’s lives.
PDO threads have been thoroughly studied and it has been shown that it has a good safety profile, so it is highly used in specialties such as plastic surgery, dermatology, and aesthetic medicine.
How are the PDO threads placed? How is the technique?
It is an outpatient treatment that is performed in the doctor’s office by a specialist in the area and must have the corresponding hygiene and safety measures to avoid complications and risks.
The patient will be seated, placed in an upright position so that the specialist can perform the asepsis and antisepsis (cleaning) of the facial or body area to be treated.
Once the area has been cleaned with antiseptic soap, topical anesthesia (lidocaine or benzocaine) is applied to avoid discomfort, pain, burning or annoying sensation of manipulation at the time of treatment. After 30 minutes, a marking is made in the area that you want to apply the tension threads.
The insertion of the PDO threads into the skin is done as an implant and the help of cannulas (needles with variable tips) is used. At the time of inserting the cannulas with the needles, these are placed in the form of a net or reticulated arrangement to make the skin rise thanks to the anchoring of the threads, which will contribute support to facial or body tissues and the desired lifting effect.
Once the treatment is finished, the threads protruding from the skin are cut. The technique is performed in the deep layers of the skin to achieve optimal results. The duration of treatment lasts approximately 15 to 30 minutes.
Once they are placed, how do PDO threads work on the skin?
The rejuvenation effect with the tension threads is carried out by different approaches. First, the lifting and tightening action of the skin occurs due to the anchorage of the placed threads.
The second mechanism of action is performed by the microtrauma produced at the time of the insertion of the threads. This action is responsible for stimulating the tissues causing the filling effect, this occurs by compatibility and absorption of the suture material at the skin level which causes a repair process (fibrosis) around the tensioning threads and triggers after a few weeks, the creation of collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid fibers that promote the lifting and filling effect.
This cascade of actions that occur at the skin level is what produces immediate and lasting clinical results that will be progressive over the months.
People who are advised by a specialist and choose this aesthetic procedure to counteract aging, see strong results through multiple benefits that occur on the skin:
- You can enjoy firmer, elastic and hydrated skin.
- The lifting effect allows for toning tissues and skin.
- Fill effect produces an increase in volume in the treated area.
- Reduction of wrinkles, expression lines, and grooves.
- Definition of facial and body contour.
Is it necessary to apply anesthesia?
Being a minimally invasive aesthetic procedure, it is advisable to apply topical anesthesia to avoid discomfort, pain, and sensation of manipulation at the level of the area treated during treatment.
How long are they? Is it forever or should we renew?
PDO threads are a resorbable suture material. The reabsorption of the threads through the skin will promote the formation of collagen and hyaluronic acid, so the effect will last 12 to 18 months, during which time the material has been completely reabsorbed.
After passing the stipulated time of resorption, the effect will decrease and it will be the person who decides whether to repeat the procedure to maintain the results obtained previously.
Indications and care after application
Although the recovery of treatment with PDO threads is not prolonged and intense, people who undergo this procedure should take some precautions and follow the specialist’s instructions during recovery.
- During the first week, it is advisable to avoid excessive gesturing, as well as coughing or sneezing strongly.
- Avoid chewing very hard food to prevent the threads from moving.
- At bedtime, it is important to be sure to slightly raise your head with pillow support or sleep on sofas with inclination to avoid making movements that will directly affect your face while you sleep. Also, it is advisable to sleep on your back for the first few days.
- Vigorous exercise is an activity that should be suspended for at least two weeks until an optimal recovery is achieved. Being exposed to physical activities the body activates different mechanisms such as sweating that can affect the treatment performed.
- Avoiding exposure to the sun for a long time and without protection will always be an indication that the patient must follow to achieve a satisfactory recovery and with good results. We suggest leaving the house with hats or caps and after 1 week restart the protection by applying sunscreen every 4 or 6 hours.
- Do not apply makeup until 24 hours after the insertion of the threads.
- If there is any bruise or ecchymosis in the treated area, you can apply an anti-inflammatory ointment every 8 hours during the first few days.
- You can apply cold in the area in the first hours to reduce possible pain and inflammation. An ice pack can be used for about 10-15 minutes, allowing one hour to pass between each application.
What areas can be treated?
The most frequently treated areas are:
- Arms (internal face).
- Thighs (inner face).
At what age can PDO threads be placed?
This minimally invasive aesthetic procedure is ideal to prevent the signs of aging or to delay aging due to the passage of time. Therefore, it can be done in:
- Patients who want a preventive treatment at the age of 35 to 40 years
- Patients between the ages of 50 and 55 who wish to reduce the signs of aging with a refreshing and facial rejuvenation without having to undergo the scalpel.
One of the many advantages of this treatment is minimal adverse reactions. They are classified as very subtle, do not cause impediments and are spontaneously resolved with the days.
- Bruises or ecchymosis.
- Erythema or redness in the treated area.
- Dimple formation.
There are some restrictions in its application that must be known before proceeding with this rejuvenation and anti-aging treatment.
- Patients with active infections or wounds in the area to be treated with PDO threads.
- Immunosuppressed or low defenses. Eg HIV/AIDS.
- Diseases or alteration of blood clotting.
- People being treated with medications such as aspirin, anticoagulants or anti-inflammatories.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding. Non-invasive and minimally invasive aesthetic procedures during the period of pregnancy and lactation is an absolute contraindication. You can do them at the end of this period and always consult a specialist to find out which is the best option.
Each treatment is different in each person according to the needs, therefore, the cost of the application of the PDO Threads varies according to the person, the size of the area to be treated and the number of threads inserted. Approximately, the cost is around $ 1000 and $ 4000 but, it can increase, it is advisable to go to the specialist for a general assessment.