• Please use our posting format for posting Reviews .Thank You
  • Members are encouraged to start their own threads and share their thoughts

Hydrocortisone and eczema

AshleySS

Apr 17, 2016
My son has eczema and has prescribed Hydrocortisone to use. I use it sparingly, as I don't like to use it due to some side effects.
Anyway, he is having a pretty bad breakout. I have lotioned him and he is not itching. Does the hydrocortisone help with the healing of the eczema, or does it only aid in the itching by reducing the swelling.

I can't believe I have never asked his dermatologist this.

DMVbabe

Apr 17, 2016
Hydrocortisone, like any steroid, suppresses immune function (usually an over-active immune system is the root cause, and the allergens can be anything from atmospheric ie. pollens to environmental/chemical to food -- or any combination thereof). It is correct that they also reduce swelling. Perhaps most importantly, they aid in stopping the itch-scratch-rash cycle, which is basically: the more you scratch the more you itch and on and on and on. Eczema is referred to as the the itch that rashes because it really does become a self-perpetuating cycle if it isn't quickly brought under control.

On the flip side, topical steroids bleach and thin skin, can initially encourage infection on areas where the skin is broken, and can change the skin permanently after long-term use. I say this from personal observation, as my daughter has severe eczema year-round, and has for five years, but I feel compelled to back the side effects since there does seem to be an 'its totally safe'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvinplawl